Introduction to Virology
This course overviews the origin, definition, classification, life cycle, and structure of viruses. Students will define basic virology terms to prepare to continue their studies in more advanced virology classes. This course will discuss viruses causing pandemics of the 20th and 21st centuries to emphasize the importance of studying and understanding viruses.
- Define viruses and reflect on theories of their origin.
- Break down the life cycle of a virus.
- Link virus groups to selected specifics in the life cycle of various viruses.
- Associate historically important outbreaks, epidemics, and pandemics with viruses and related pathologies.
- Discuss the importance of vaccination.