Human Virology II: Viral Pathogenesis
This course will explore the epidemiology, pathogenesis, prevention and treatment of major human diseases caused by viruses with an emphasis on viral molecular biology. We will discuss in detail the replication cycle of clinically important viruses such as HIV, Hepatitis C, Influenza, Coronaviruses, Ebola and Zika. We will also talk about zoonosis and how it contributes to emerging of viral infections.
- Illustrate the basic structures and replication strategies of the major classes of human viruses
- Give examples of viruses that can cause cancer in humans
- Compare and contrast the life cycle and epidemiology of viruses that cause hepatitis
- Discuss the immune evasion mechanisms utilized by HIV and Herpesviruses
- Give examples of emerging viral infections that jump from animals to humans
- Convey detailed concepts of a chosen virology topic to other people