Register for the 3 workshops and receive a bundle deal on your training rates, available until February 12, 2024! Click the links to register for the workshops series with bundle pricing!
Bundle Registration: 3-Workshop Bundle (BIOF 017, BIOF 018, and BIOF 019)
This workshop will be held live on the designated days.
Simultaneous access to two screens is highly recommended for best learning experience. Examples include one computer with two screens, two computers, one laptop and one tablet, etc.
This workshop will explore both the design side and the coding side of creating visualizations in R. The first session will introduce best practices for designing effective visualizations, and learners will put these into practice in the next two sessions to create static and interactive visualizations. Learners will be introduced to Shiny, an R package used to build interactive web apps. The workshop will include three two-hour sessions with the following learning objectives:
- After Session 1: Visualization Design, learners will be able to:
- Understand how to use principles of human visual perception to create effective visualizations;
- Describe elements of design such as line, shape, value, texture, and space and understand how to effectively use them in visualizations;
- Use color to convey meaning, including using color-blind friendly palettes.
- After Session 2: Visualization in ggplot2, learners will be able to:
- Describe the “Grammar of Graphics” philosophy that underlies the ggplot2 visualization package;
- Create visualizations including barplots, scatterplots, line graphs, and more using ggplot2;
- Customize all aspects of visualizations;
- Save and export visualizations for print, submission to journals, and other applications.
- After Session 3: Interactive Visualizations with Shiny, learners will be able to:
- Understand how to use the UI and server functions to create Shiny objects;
- Create visualizations that change based on user input;
- Build simple web apps incorporating visualizations.
BIOF 017 | R Basics Bootcamp
BIOF 018 | R Advanced Beginners Bootcamp
Basic knowledge of coding in R
Although no grades are given for courses, each participant will receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) based on the number of contact hours. One CEU is equal to ten contact hours. Upon completion of this course each participant will receive a certificate, showing completion of the workshop and 0.7 CEUs.
This workshop applies toward the Bioinformatics Endeavor digital badge.
Follow the link to review Workshop Refund Policy.
- All cancellations must be received in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations received after 4:00 pm (ET) on business days or received on non-business days are time marked for the following business day.
- All refund payments will be processed by the start of the initial workshop.