Legal and Ethical Issues in Public Health and Biomedical Sciences
This course offers an overview of legal issues affecting biotechnology and other science-based industries and frames basic philosophical and ethical considerations regarding genetic data and manipulation. The course includes a discussion of intellectual property issues. This course is an elective for Advanced Studies in Technology Transfer.
- Discuss ethical issues, the basis and influence of moral theories on resolving bioethical issues
- Survey the legal, medical, and scientific aspects of current bioethical issues
- Learn about the U.S. patent process and the interdependency of marketplace and laws which regulate it
- Explain how the principles of property and ownership relating to intellectual property and biological materials impact the development of new therapies and diagnostics
- Understand the impact of biotechnology on healthcare and the medical community